Jersey Voices has provided a venue for New Jersey playwrights to showcase their new works since 1995. Each year we hope to present the very best, new, original one-act plays by New Jersey authors. There’s a risk in coming to see any author’s new work, whether you’ve heard of them before or not. It’s brave and courageous, and we’re grateful our audience trusts us enough to share the experience. Jersey Voices has presented the work of more than 70 authors in their 22 years.
“Playwriting is alive and well in New Jersey” says Co-Producer, Bob Denmark. “This year’s plays include a talking dog, an unlikely couple who meet at the bus stop, an aging ‘Princess’ from a string of famous sci-fi movies, an exceptionally organized young woman, singing waiters, and, yes, an incredible porno collection.”
Each year dozens of people – authors, actors crew, directors – do their best to give us new material, fresh faces, different perspectives and interesting ideas - in short, good theater.
"While we never have a theme in mind, every year, when the one-act plays are selected, a theme is identified. This year, the plays show us that love and hope can be discovered where and when you least expect it”, said Co-Producer Andrea Herbert.
- “A Dog’s Life” by Robert Scott Sullivan of Brick - The silly, exciting, adventure of a day with your dog. This play features Matt McCarthy of Morristown and Jessica Phelan of Montclair. Directed by Joann Scanlon of Chatham.
- “Badger and Maddy” by Dianna Lewis of Montclair - A two-character comedy that shows us wisdom can come from unusual places. This play features Donald Calliste of Bronx, NY and Diane Gilch of Martinsville. Directed by Arnold Buchiane of Summit.
- “Zarg” by Walter Placzek of Monroe - The play is both funny and touching. Spirited, well-meaning people find love and connection in very difficult circumstances. The play features Mary Jo Oakley and Lily Bauer of Chatham, Christine Talarico of Denville and Dominick DeNucci of Cedar Knolls. Directed by Lynn Polan of Chatham..
- “Hair, Shoes Coffee” by Eleanor Kennedy of Chatham - A fun comedy piece requiring a lot of acting "in between the lines." Examines the morning rituals of a woman through the eyes of her male friend. This play features Dominick DeNucci of Cedar Knolls and Gianna Esposito of Morristown. Directed by Dawn Afanador of Roseland..
- “Knock Out” by G. David Post of Sparta - When love comes knock-knocking you might laugh or you might roll your eyes -- but if you know the punchline, it could be the start of something. This play features Mary Molino of Whippany, Elissa Strell of Warren, Julie Anne Nolan of Little Falls and Chip Prestera of Stirling. Directed by John AC Kennedy of Springfield.
- “In Reverse Order” by Eric Alter of Livingston - "Well, I have an incredible porno collection." A guy, a gal, a blind date...Comedy ensues. This play features Howard Fischer of Berkeley Heights and Judi Laganga of Roselle Park. Directed by George Seylaz of Belleville.
|Connie, Waitress||Julie Anne Nolan|
|Waiter - Dean||Chip Prestera|
|Waiter 2||Matt McCarthy|
|Waiter 3||Howard Fischer|
|Carolyn Carpenter||Mary Jo Oakley|
|Janet Carpenter||Christine Talerico|
|Alison Watford||Lily Bauer|
|David Watford||Dominic DeNucci|
|Producer||Andrea Herbert Young|
|Director||Joann Lopresti Scanlon|
|Director||John A.C. Kennedy|
|Production Coordinator||Steffi Denmark|
|Stage Manager||Laura Carey|
|Asst. Stage Manager||Beth Vetter|
|Lighting Design||Steve Stubelt|
|Lighting Design||Diane Giangreco|
|Sound Design||Joe DeVico|